Ruhaan had been egging me for days to make cookies so finally, I mustered the courage to bake some. Then I thought, it can’t be an ordinary cookie and suddenly I remembered the chocolate cookies with bacon that I got to try a few weeks back from the Fairmont which the chef had so kindly made for me. At first I was really hesitant to try it but when I did….. I was sooo amazed with the blend of flavors that emanated from a single cookie that I totally forgot to ask him for the recipe…not that I expected him to share his secret with me! J
So after scouring the internet for the best recipes, I settled on this one below, I’ve altered it to suit ingredients I could get locally. You also have to use bacon with a higher fat content, what they normally call streaky bacon.
Double Chocolate Bacon Cookies
1 small pack streaky bacon, chopped (I used Purefoods honey-cured pork bacon)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks (I used Hershey’s)
- Preheat an oven to 175 degrees C.
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble.
- Beat the sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer in a large bowl until fluffy and smooth.
- Stir in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in the chocolate chips and bacon.
- Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. If you want bigger cookies, use an ice cream scoop like i did.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Let stand 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container or jar for up to 5 days (but I doubt they will last that long)
Needless to say, my picky 8 year old absolutely loved it and ate 3 cookies instantly! I guess that the best compliment I can get! J