Thursday 6 February 2014

Internet shopping 101!

To those of you who haven’t tried it…you don’t know what you’re missing! J

As I’ve admitted previously, I am a fully, fledged internet shopper and have been doing it for years. Heck, I even ordered my maternity clothes online and that was 8 years ago so yes, I do have some authority on the subject. Admittedly, it did start with my frustration on the maternity clothes available here, most were too frumpy and completely lacking in style! More like huge shapeless tents which could send you very well into post-partum depression. Imagine delivering your child and then when you realize that your pre-pregnancy clothes still don’t fit, you’ve no choice except to wear those shapeless tents and baggy jeans again!

So, pregnancy over, I gradually moved onto clothes for the newbie mom, then it became the “educational toys”…I would like to think that my internet shopping is indeed for a good cause, my son is quite intelligent (hey, it could be the genes, too) and could point out which animals/fruits I would say from the flashcards I had ordered for him at the age of 8 months. Ruh even learned the colors and textures from Baby Einstein and bedtime stories about Blue and Frankie the Turtle, all sourced through the internet.

Then, it was the hunt for organic baby food. There was one organic store just starting out in the city but the range they had of Earth’s Best baby food was quite limited and I deemed it necessary for my baby to develop his taste buds! After all, who could resist buying chicken mango risotto as stage 2 food for their toddlers?

One time I read a review of how fantastic this caramel popcorn was and I practically had to have it! So what did I do? Ordered online of course! I won’t even tell you how much that moment of madness cost me but suffice it to say I never ordered popcorn online again! I must’ve have been the happiest person on earth when they finally opened Garrett’s at a mall here! J

I haven’t gone totally bonkers on internet shopping, I still do the math and most of the time it has always worked out that prices were almost the same as retail here with the courier charges built in but if there was an online sale, then you‘ve hit the jackpot!  So yes, that affirmed my decision and motto that if you can’t find it, order it! J

Which brings me to my recently ordered loot! I call it loot because in some cases wherein it gets sent by international post, there is no package tracking so you’re left twiddling your thumbs for 2 weeks on whether the package is actually going to show up at the local post office or not! I had ordered from Vitacost, and they’re one of the few online retailers that actually ship international with very reasonable rates of $12 for a 3lb. package.

Here’s what I got:


Amazing Grass Kidz Superfood in Outrageous Chocolate Flavor - Kidz SuperFood Chocolate is a nutritional powerhouse that combines 31 rainbow colored fruits and vegetables in a delicious chocolate drink powder. One serving gives you the antioxidant equivalent of 3 servings of fruits and vegetables


One serving of this a day, then I can sleep better knowing my child has had his full serving of vegetables. I don’t use it as a replacement but as a nutritional supplement. 1 small scoop mixed with a little water, which i then add to his chocolate soymilk (why he's having soymilk is another story J )

For some reason,my son has a built-in vegetable radar and he  sees every minute speck of vegetable in the food no matter how much I try to disguise it. He will eat but only after debating on how exactly vegetables are good for him and when I’ve practically run out of ideas justifying why.

Ruh: "Is bad to eat candy all the time?"
Me: "Yes, you know it is, too much of anything is not good for you!"
Ruh: "So why do I have to have vegetables everyday, isn't that bad for me, too?"
Me:  I'm actually at a loss for words but I had to say something, "Hmm, it makes you grow taller"
Ruh: "But i eat everyday and I'm still the smallest in my class!"
Me: "Your classmates must be related to giants, please just drink your superfood!"

This way, no more arguments, just 1 glass!



Next, the much hyped about cookie butter spread (a.k.a Biscoff) ...I had a mission to find a peanut butter alternative for Ruh because his school prohibits bringing food with any nuts in it as some children are highly allergic. Which is the complete opposite for my child, thankfully he can eat anything and sadly, peanut butter is the only spread he likes on bread, aside from nutella. 

Me: "What do you want for your school snack today?"
Ruh: "peanut butter & bread"
Me: "But it's not allowed in school"
Ruh: " I'm not sharing anyway and besides, a peanut is not a nut! It's a legume!"
Me: "Really, where'd you hear that?"
Ruh: "I read it in my Book of Facts that you ordered for me!
Me: "Smile!"

So yes, ordering online does have it’s benefits! ...need i say more? J 

No comments:

Post a Comment